Thursday, February 24, 2011

I'm behind


So, I meant to write this post a while ago and never got around to it. But, Barcelona was pretty amazing so here it is anyways. During the first week of February, Emma, Emily, and I traveled to Barcelona for a few days. I don't think we could have picked a better place to go for our first "tiempo libre" (stretch of free time). I think I fell in love with that city. We stayed at a hostel, which was a new experience for me and for travel companions too. Sleeping on a bunk bed in a room with 9 other people and sharing a communal bathroom is not exactly a four star experience, but the fact that we paid 14 euro a night was not exactly a four star price either. That made it somewhat worth it. And, really it was not that bad, the workers were very helpful and welcoming and the place was clean. We were lucky to share our room with respectful, chill people, although we couldn't figure out what language they were speaking. I would recommend a hostel if you don't mind using the same towel twice, bringing your own shampoo, or not having someone else make your bed every day. A hostel is also a great way to meet people you might not normally interact with.

Day 1: Emily and I went exploring. We found a perfect little breakfast cafe that we ended up going to everyday we were in Barcelona. The coffee was great!


We then spent the day venturing into the city. We did some shopping, as girls do best. And walked along "Las Ramblas," probably the busiest street in Barcelona. Not because of traffic, but because of people. There were so many things to see, you could probably walk that street everyday of your life and always see something different.

Day 2: We went to the beach! I can proudly say I have touched the water of the Mediterranean. Itwas a little cold for swimming, but the weather was nice enough to enjoy a picnic.


(this child was too adorable, I couldn't resist the photo op.)

Day 3: It was a busy day. We started of with our cafe con leche, then headed to La Sagrada Familia, an incredible cathedral and a must see if you ever go to Barcelona. It was designed by Antoni Gaudi. He has definitely made his mark in Barcelona. While I was in the cathedral, I couldn't help but look up. The ceiling and the architecture is absolutely incredible. But, maybe that's the point, in a holy place the idea is to look up... into the heavens. I am hopeful because the most beautiful place is unreachable at the moment, but somehow it was built, therefore it is reachable in the end.



After La Sagrada Familia, we made our way (by the metro!) to Parque Guell. It was amazing and also designed by Gaudi. His house is also located here. Parque Guell is a public park that is so beautiful I couldn't believe you could just walk right through it. The park feels a little bit like walking into a fairy tale. There was a tunnel/ pathway lined with trees and little "candy" cottages. Emily and I had packed a lunch and we enjoyed it on a stone bench, along the pathway, lined with trees... and lived happily ever after.


Oh, wait! I can't forget we also went to el estadio de Barcelona (the futbol stadium) that day, in honor of my brother. We couldn't take a tour because there was a game later that night, Barcelona vs. Madrid, but it was still exciting see. The fans were already arriving, four hours early to support their team.


Day 4: We spent our last morning in Barcelona visiting the Arc de Triomf. A typical monument of Roman architecture. It was built in 1888 for a main access gate of the World's Fair, Universal Exhibitions. Finally before we ended our lovely time in Barcelona we spent some time at the Picasso Museum, but "prohibe fotos" was a common theme around the museum, so I could not take any pictures to show you.


Our trip came to a close, but I will always remember the time I spent in Barcelona. I hope to go back someday. It was really difficult because at the end of my trip I received some very disappointing academic news. After such an amazing trip, I experienced one of the worst nights of my life, felling lonely and somewhat worthless, like all my hard work was for nothing. I'm still very frustrated about the situation, but difficult times are a blessing in disguise, and I am trying to look at it that way. Without them it would be impossible to gain appreciation for the wonderful moments and memories that will last a lifetime. Looking back on my life, I want to remember the moments when I was happiest.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweet Pea! Loved your Barcelona recap, and so did Stacey. Here is a note from her:

    Hi Lindsay!
    You are a fabulous, clever writer. I have enjoyed reading your updates. Brings back memories of my trips to Italy and makes me want to travel to explore Spain. Sorry about your bad academic news. Keep your head up and enjoy the rest of your time there. Nicky and Timmy say hi!
    With Love,
    Stacey (from icy,cold Ct!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Lindsay, wonderful tales from that trip. Glad you are enjoying the experience so much. Do you mind sharing what those not so good news were? Sorry to hear about that!

    Best,

    Nacho

    ReplyDelete