Monday, February 14, 2011

Dia de San Valentin

It's Valentine's day and I would like to talk about some things that I love.

I love that I have the opportunity to experience a different culture and learn a new language. Although, this experience is probably the most difficult and frustrating experience of my life. I recently read a quote on my friends facebook page that said "we are all faced with great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations." I think that that fits my life perfectly at the moment.

I love cafe con leche! The coffee in Spain is amazing, as I am assuming it is in all of Europe. It is always strong and always hot, although the Spaniards prefer a little more sugar than is to my liking. The good news is you can add what you want. To the average Spaniard even a "small" 12 oz. latte would seem muy estrano (very strange), and (muy grande) very big. Granada is a smaller city and that is how its people prefer their coffee, one shot of espresso, sometimes with milk in a small espresso cup. Starbucks, the coffee shop that seemed to take over the world, doesn't even exist here. It is very difficult to find coffee "to go" which in a way symbolizes the importance many Europeans see in sitting down, and taking the time to enjoy themselves, their time, and their company. What's the rush?

I love walking everywhere. Although my sense of direction is not the greatest, and I have gotten lost multiple times, I would prefer to walk, rather than drive any day. Plus, it's better for the environment (Mom that's for you), and getting lost is part of the adventure. Walking allows for more time to think, contemplate, enjoy the scenery, and to take it all in. Again, what's the rush?

I love hearing little kids speak in Spanish. Of course it's natural, Spanish is the language they grew up with, it's the language they know, but I am used to little kids learning English. I am also trying to learn Spanish. When I hear a little kid speaking the language I am trying to learn, as a 21 year old, I just find it remarkable, and incredibly cute.

I love la tortilla espanola. I decided one thing I really miss about the United States is breakfast. I mean a big, delicious, sit down, Saturday morning breakfast. That just does not happen in Spain. Mostly because people are still sleeping during "breakfast time", and by "brunch time" you should eat something light, because lunch is coming in a few hours and that is usually a pretty big meal. However, the tortilla espanola almost makes up for the lack of American breakfast. Because it is kind of like breakfast except you eat it for lunch and dinner. The restaurants here also refer to it as a "potato omelet," for American's who do not understand that it is not a tortilla like the kind for a burrito. It is simply made of egg, potatos, and onions (you can add other vegetables or ham if you like) in the shape of a fat tortilla. So in a way it's kind of like eggs and hashbrowns. :) Here's a link to a recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-specials/tortilla-espanola-spanish-omelette-recipe/index.html I don't know how good it will be, but you get the idea.

I love that musicians pop up on the streets while walking through the city. When I am in a good mood, and the weather is nice, I almost feel as if I am in a movie. An artistic song describes my mood and the mood of the day. Sometimes I even try to walk in rhythm with the beat. It's kind of dramatic, but music is capable of turning an ordinary moment into a perfect moment.

And lastly, I love that I miss my family. Because that means I love my family. I really think I'll learn to love being here, in Granada, but it is still something new and something I want to share with the people I love most. I don't want to leave, but I can't wait to reunite with my loved ones and tell of my experiences here. xoxo





3 comments:

  1. Hello Sweet Pea! I loved your Valentine’s Day post, and especially liked thinking about relaxing and enjoying the strong, hot cafe con leche ... with you! And it occurred to me that you have actually had a few impossible situations in your young life already. You’ve entered them with bravery and a never-give-up attitude. And you’ve emerged from them with even more poise, grace and wisdom than you had before. This experience will be the same. I believe your short time in Granada will present you with precious gifts throughout your life.

    I love you (more!) ... your Momba xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Sweet Pea ... wanted to let you know we tried "tortilla espanola" tonight for dinner ... in the true spirit of Spanish cuisine and custom. It was really good! I know I wasn't that coordinated on my tortilla "flip" but overall, it was still delicious. We added some bacon ... but left out the green olives.

    Looking forward to making this a staple meal from now on. :-)

    Love, Momba xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Lindsay! : ) Some of my best childhood memories are of my mom taking me to eat Tortilla EspaƱola at a small Spanish place near where I grew up. I still love it, and even better when it has Spanish Chorizo! : )

    All the best,

    N

    ReplyDelete