Sunday, May 1, 2011

Solo traveler


I recently went to Greece, alone. What an amazing place, and what an amazing experience. I am so thankful I had the opportunity, although I missed my family more than ever, because normally I travel with them. But I do think traveling solo is something everyone should try.

I started off my adventure in Athens. I got to visit the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Temple of Zeus, and the Agora. I was in the presence of ancient Greek spirit, I felt a little nerdy thinking Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates walked here once, but the feeling was quite incredible. I will never forget it. It's amazing to me that these structures are still standing as they are. The Temple of Hephaistos is the best preserved of its kind, in the world, and it dates back to 460-415 B.C. How incredible is that? Now crumbling and covered in overgrowth these structures were once new and a vital part of city life. I tried to imagine myself as an ancient Greek walking through the Agora (city center), visiting the civic offices, and viewing the speaker's platform, maybe even listening to Aristotle himself. Now only foundations and partial columns remain, but I tried to imagine the scene as it once was, people living there just like you and I.


After two days I made my way to Mykonos, a small island about a 2 and a half hour ferry ride away from Athens. It was a very picturesque. The island felt a little lonely because it was so small, and the weather wasn't that great. Those factors made it difficult to meet people. But, since it was raining so much I got a lot of shopping done! I spent most of my time right along the water front, as that is how the town is situated.
I enjoyed some delicious cappucinos, the Greeks make them well, and some amazing views. I would go back to Mykonos, but next time bring a friend with me.


Santorini was my third stop. The bad weather continued. But, I couldn't let that keep me from seeing a place I had waited so long visit. Santorini is beautiful. My first night I just wandered the down town area, taking in the sights and some food. The next day I signed up for a boat cruise of the island. Guess what? It was raining, but I was trying not to think about it while we treked to the top of an active volcano. I felt the hot steam seeping out from the ground.

We ended our tour in Oie (a small town of Santorini) with the weather beginning to cooperate. I met two girls on the boat tour and we decided to explore the town together. We had an amazing afternoon and evening, taking pictures and finding the house they used in the film "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." Even though I probably won't ever see them again, it was great to have someone to share the moment with.


My trip to Greece was a success. I have wanted to go there for so long, and I can't believe it happened so soon. I think I got lost at least once a day, but that was part of the adventure. More importantly, I learned how to enjoy my time by myself. Seeing the Parthenon was an unbelievable moment, however I reacted differently than I would have if I had been with someone who was excited to see it too. Because I was alone, my reaction was different than I imagined it, but I learned that doesn't mean I appreciated the opportunity any less.

I was in Greece for a week and got to see some amazing things, and throughout my journey I learned a lot about myself. Independent has always been a word I use to describe my personality, however this trip gave me a new confidence, because I found out I can enjoy amazing things alone, and I discovered this for myself. I did it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Linds. How I envy you. Greece was always high on my list, but I ended up traveling the other side of the world. As you said, to stand where western civilization began . . . . I can't wait for you to return home so that I can quiz you and see Greece through your stories. Soon, soon.

    Love you mostest,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete