Thursday, January 13, 2011

Expectations

I am living in Granada, Spain and the whole experience still seems like a thought bubble waiting to burst. Personally hearing so many people talk about studying abroad and even about the Granada program specifically, it was hard not to have expectations. I tried not to have any, but I don't think I succeeded in fulfilling that agenda. I had to believe that Europe, and Spain, and Granada would be an amazing place, after all this is where I will spend almost half a year of my life.

The city is beautiful; there is so much history here. Whenever I walk anywhere I feel like I'm walking somewhere important. Granada is an old city, but I did not expect it to be so modern as well. I am fascinated by new sights every day, like the old cobble stone streets, the Sierra Nevada Mountains, orange trees that line the roads, so many hole in the wall panaderias (baker's shop), and amidst the neon lights and crowded bars during the night a clothes line between two windows of a nearby apartment.

Secondly, I did not expect my host mom to be so compassionate and understanding, or for her food to be so delicious. I came here for the overall experience, but mostly to improve my Spanish. I need to improve and I believe I will improve. Being immersed in a culture when you have to use the language that you don't totally understand is an indescribable experience until it actually happens to you. Mi Madre (my mom) is very patient, helpful, and kind to me when it probably feels like she is talking to a five year old. Her actions are admirable and much appreciated on my part. She now calls me "hija" the Spanish word for daughter. I realize the relationship I have with her is significantly affecting the improvement of my Spanish.

Bimba is another unexpected comfort to me. She is the small Yorkshire terrier that lives with us. A good relationship with a dog is not dependent on my knowledge and correctness of Spanish. It's nice to come home to that after a day trying to converse in a new language.



Finally, I traveled to Granada with Emily, my previous roommate at Willamette. When we arrived at the Philadelphia airport we were pleasantly surprised to receive a free upgrade to first class on our way to Madrid. I got a lot more sleep on that flight than I expected.



I have only been here a week and have already had some very frustrating times but also have experienced moments I will never forget. I want to look at that flight from Philadelphia to Madrid as a metaphor for these next five months. Yes, it was a seven hour plane ride, but because of the upgrade we had a better experience than expected. Studying in Granada is not going to be easy but it will be the experience of a lifetime, and in the end it is going to upgrade my life.

4 comments:

  1. Great start to your journey and your blog Sweetpea. Don't get too frustrated, just keep speaking as much as you can and it will come. And enjoy every minute in Spain!

    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're delighted that you're keeping a record of your experiences, Linds. It not only relieves our worry, but brings us closer to you. And we're thankful that you have such a great other "madre" and that Emily is there with you. We won't tell Mel about Bimba, though. Can't wait to read your next post.

    Love you more,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lindsay, it is such a pleasure to know you are well and enjoying your experience! Do expect the occasional frustration (here, there, everywhere!) and, as you well know, the challenges that come with composing your life (which is what you are up to). It all sounds like a great learning experience, but above all, one that has already opened your heart (and you, not surprisingly, have already found your way into other people's hearts as well) : )

    First class to Spain sounds marvelous Lindsay! All the best with the program and with your Spanish. You'll see that just being there helps it tremendously. You'll come back with an accent from Spain, and I want to hear it when you get back! So come ready to discuss Rhetoric and Media subjects in Spanish! : )

    Oh, my son and I love Pomegranates (we also hope to go to Granada one of these days).

    All the best,

    Nacho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsay....grandpa Mike in Detroit! :-) How wonderful to know you have made it to Spain! What fun and excitement for you! So very happy for you too! These next 6 months will be some of the best times for you. Lot's to learn, see, experience. You'll do just great and will adapt quickly. Just look at all you have already tackled and accomplished in your young life!

    Love your new friend "Bimba"...cute. Anxious to read your next blog and see how you are enjoying the all the local sites, customs & cusine as well as the real life in Spain. Have fun!

    Love,
    G3, Jenny, Pepper, Bob & Joe

    ReplyDelete